Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » change storage LUN used for ASM (oracle 10.2.0.4.0 solaris)
change storage LUN used for ASM [message #423563] Fri, 25 September 2009 05:54 Go to next message
knight

my database is 10.2.0.4.0 database using ASM.a lun of 500GB is mapped.
I want to use a new LUN for storage and discard the old one.

Normally this could be done by add new disk,,,,rebalance,,,,,drop old disk,,,,rebalance.
This requires that at a point in time both disk should be in diskgroup ,,,,but it is not feasible for me.

I want to move server in different network,,,,so connectivity with both old and new LUN simultaneously is not possible

are the foll steps correct

1.take RMAN cold backup including control file.
2.move server to different network
2.map the new LUN with same diskgroup name as old one
3.restore and recover using RMAN

but will the restore command make the directory structure in ASM as old ones for file locations?
Re: change storage LUN used for ASM [message #423626 is a reply to message #423563] Fri, 25 September 2009 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
It should work. Just to be in safer side, I always manually recreate the top level directories (just to prevent from overwriting any other existing directories. In your case, the diskgroup is empty).
Even if directory structure is different, not a big deal.
With a simple spooled script, you can generate
set newname for datafile ...

and for redologs
alter database rename file

and call the spooled output file before restore (within RMAN).
The above method has always worked for me with cold restores.
Re: change storage LUN used for ASM [message #425030 is a reply to message #423563] Wed, 07 October 2009 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
knight
in scenario of RAC for the same purpose should I first make cluster_database=false,,,,start restore and recovery only on the primary node and then again make cluster_database to true?
Re: change storage LUN used for ASM [message #425099 is a reply to message #425030] Wed, 07 October 2009 09:36 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Yes. If you are doing RAC to RAC.
Previous Topic: ASM and number of disk drives
Next Topic: erroneous synonym
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 12:08:51 CDT 2024